In Singapore and Malaysia, Chinese New Year isn’t complete without taking part in lo hei.
And it is no different for visiting stars.
Heavenly King Aaron Kwok, who is in Malaysia for his four-show Amazing Starry Tour concert in Genting from Feb 16, stopped by Kuala Lumpur for some CNY festivities.
The organiser for his concert took to Instagram to give fans a glimpse into the singer’s itinerary, beginning with a video of his arrival at the airport.
Though he had a mask on, Aaron, who was in an all-black ensemble, cap and spectacles, looked super suave as he walked out of the arrival gate with his entourage.
In another video, Aaron could be seen taking partaking in lo hei at a Chinese restaurant.
And let’s just say he was super enthused.
Aaron could be seen hollering auspicious sayings while tossing the yusheng as high as he could.
Who knew he was so on?
Back in January, Chinese director-actress Jia Ling, 41, caught everyone by surprise when it was revealed that she lost 50kg in a year for her new film Yolo.
However, the star has not been seen in public since the announcement.
Well, seeing is believing, right?
Jia Ling made an appearance to promote her film, showing off her new trim physique in person for the first time.
Yolo tells the story of an unemployed woman who still lives with her parents until she meets a boxing coach who changes her life.
The director’s weight loss journey was also revealed as an Easter egg in the film. She was approximately 105kg when she started shooting the movie on Jan 4 last year.
It showed how on Nov 24 last year, she had already lost about 58kg. She then deliberately gained 20kg and then lost it again.
After videos of her appearances were posted online, netizens flooded the comments section with their opinions, with most praising her perseverance.
“She has transformed into another person!” said one netizen.
Another netizen wrote encouragingly: “No matter how you looked like in the past, just be yourself! We can see your hard work.”
Some also pointed to her change in mannerism, with one saying, “Jia Ling has now become so gentle. I miss her previous bubbly personality.”
In other news, Yolo has since made 781mil yuan (S$14.6mil) at the box office since its release.
Chinese actor Wang Dong, who was previously accused of abusing his 22-year-old wife Annepple, has admitted to domestic violence.
The 44-year-old, best known for starring in 2022 period drama The Blue Whisper, posted a video on Weibo which showed him holding a piece of paper with the words "I am guilty of domestic violence" written on it.
“I admit I hit my current wife. Regarding this matter, I have nothing to hide. I did it and I was wrong. I accept all punishment for it,” he said.
He admitted that resorting to violence is wrong, worse when against a woman, and will handle the matter legally.
He also shared an audio recording of an argument with his wife from August 2022.
Furious that his fans had spread malicious rumours about her, Annepple cursed at Wang Dong and allegedly physically attacked him and grabbed his hair.
Wang Dong claimed Annepple has a bad temper and was often highly suspicious of others. He also called her behaviour "NPD narcissistic personality disorder".
Wang Dong and Annepple tied the knot in 2021 and have a two-year-old daughter named Cindy together.
This is the actor's third marriage and things have been rocky between the couple for a while.
Annepple claimed Wang Dong cheated on her when she was pregnant, and in 2022, she accused him of abandoning her and their daughter.
Then months later, she shared a video showing him attacking and strangling her.
Last year, the couple posted a video announcing their reconciliation, with Annepple saying that she had forgiven Wang Dong for the sake of their child.
Bradley Cooper Opens Up About His ‘Crazy’ Meeting With Beyonce For ‘A Star Is Born’ & How It All ‘Fell Through’
Bradley Cooper had a “crazy” experience trying to get Beyoncé to join his 2018 remake of A Star Is Born. Bradley, 49, did an interview with the SAG-AFTRA Foundation and revealed that he met with producer Greg Silverman to pitch Beyoncé, 42, for the role of Ally, which ultimately went to Lady Gaga. Bradley said that Greg told him, “If you can make it for under $25 million and you can get Beyoncé, I’ll do it.”
The American Sniper star recalled how he met with Beyoncé, 42, in person to discuss the project. “I went to Beyoncé’s house, and JAY-Z was watching Judge Judy, I still remember. I’m not kidding,” Bradly shared. “And I was freaking [out]. I remember I had this weird cough when I was pitching it to her.”
“It was crazy. She was incredible and so was he, and we developed it for like a year together,” the Oscar nominee continued. “I mean, she’s one of the greatest people of all time. Then that fell through.”
Bradley said his next choice to star in the musical romance movie was Adele, who texted him back that she was too “busy.” Bradley ended up seeing Gaga, 37, perform at a benefit concert and he quickly realized that she was the perfect fit to be his co-star. “It just blew the doors off of the whole place, and it was in that moment where it was like, ‘That’s it. What was I even thinking?’ And then I asked to meet her,” Bradley recalled.
As fans know, Bradley successfully convinced Gaga to join A Star Is Born, which was his directorial debut. The 2018 film received eight Academy Award nominations and won for Best Original Song for Bradley and Gaga’s duet “Shallow.” The two stars were subject to intense dating rumors from working together on the movie, especially after their intimate performance at the 2019 Oscars.
At the A Star Is Born premiere in 2018, Bradley told PEOPLE that he “made a friend for life” in Gaga. “As great as this movie was, the thing that I think I’ll take away forever is the relationship I have with her because she is an incredible person,” he said. “I’m very lucky to have worked with her.”
Gaga similarly gushed over her experience working with Bradley in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. “It just has changed me,” the “Born This Way” singer said. “Watching Bradley work was phenomenal and then having him believe in me — it gave me more ammunition to believe in myself and I just feel so blessed to have had that experience.”
Tom Holland is just as excited as we are about Zendaya’s upcoming film Challengers! The 27-year-old Marvel superhero shared a sweet new message in support of his girlfriend’s sports movie, which premieres on April 26.
“You ain’t ready for this one!” Tom wrote via his Instagram Stories on Wednesday, February 21, alongside the clip of the new Challengers film trailer. He also tagged Zendaya in the post.
Challengers stars the 27-year-old Dune franchise actress as Tashi Duncan: a once-successful tennis pro who suffers an apparent career-ending injury and later becomes a coach. Zendaya’s character also seemingly hooks up with two tennis stars, played by Mike Faist and Josh O’Connor, one of whom she marries. The film’s teaser features Tashi seducing both of them, which causes tension between both men as they face off on the court.
The first trailer for the film dropped in June 2023, and fans were surprised to see the Euphoria actress in a role that required her to have what appeared to be a threesome.
“Get ready for all these poor Tom Holland tweets after seeing the Challengers second trailer,” one person tweeted shortly after the new teaser dropped this week. Many social media users, however, came to Tom’s defense by pointing out that he just expressed his enthusiasm for the sports drama.
“The man just reposted this trailer on his story lol,” one X user tweeted. “He won, he gets her everyday. It’s giving he could care less what random losers online say. She is an actress and doing her job, like him [sic].”
Aside from Challengers, Zendaya has also faced questions about her intimate onscreen moments with her friend and co-star Timothée Chalamet regarding their new film, Dune: Part Two. Their Dune characters, Chani and Paul, kiss and share several close scenes together throughout the movie.
According to a TikTok video from one of the Dune: Part Two international premieres, Zendaya explained that kissing a co-star is just part of being an actor.
“Well, I think it’s our job,” she said. “So, no it’s not [weird]. It’s not our first rodeo.”
As for Tom, the Spider-Man actor has been dating Zendaya since 2021. The two prefer to keep their relationship away from the public eye as much as possible, but they’ve both supported one another’s endeavors. Most recently, Tom was spotted attending an afterparty in London to celebrate the Disney Channel alum for Dune: Part Two.
Stephen Chow, 61, Receives Ang Pows From Staff; Netizens Debate On Whether He Should Be Accepting Them
Is there a cut-off age for singles to stop receiving ang pows during CNY?
Hong Kong’s comedy king Stephen Chow, 61, recently posted an Instagram video, in which he received red packets from his staff, all of whom were seen patiently waiting in line.
The video sent many netizens into a flurry of discussion, with a handful finding it strange that he was still getting ang pows at his age.
It definitely doesn’t help that Hong Kong film producer and agent Tiffany Chen once revealed that Stephen is stingy and overbearing in real life.
However, celebs who have worked with Stephen had his back.
They spoke up for him, saying that Tiffany’s impression of the actor was untrue. Stephen, on the other hand, did not respond to Tiffany’s comments at all.
Similarly, many netizens have taken Stephen’s side when it comes to ang pows.
According to one Chinese netizen, such practice is common for the Cantonese and is part of tradition for singles to be given ang pows regardless of their age.
Many surmised that those giving Stephen ang pows are married, and instead of being “stingy”, he was being respectful when he accepted them.
“These ang pows generally [contain small amounts of money], from 10 to 50 yuan (S$2 -10),” wrote one netizen.
Another Cantonese netizen also wrote: “Isn’t this very normal? Every year, I would receive over 10 ang pows from colleagues who are married.
One cheeky netizen joked: “We’ve found the reason for Stephen staying single!”
What do you think?
Halle Bailey’s boyfriend, DDG, is airing out the details of the Little Mermaid star’s pregnancy. In an upcoming interview on The Jason Lee Show, the 26-year-old rapper answered a few questions about their decision to keep their first child a secret until earlier this year.
“We weren’t aiming for a baby, but it just kinda happened,” DDG said in a clip from the interview. He then added, “What are we going to do?”
Host Jason Lee described the build-up to the moment when Halle, 23, and DDG discovered that she was expecting their baby, son Halo.
“You’re on tour, and you’re successful in your own right and have been,” Jason pointed out. “She’s successful in her own right, and just came out of the biggest movie, like ever, and all the drama that came with that. … That’s a very big adult conversation in your early 20s.”
In response, DDG explained that “both” of them “have the same interest in being parents.”
“And I feel like she always wanted to be a mom,” he continued. “We always kind of just give off that energy, and I always wanted a kid. So, from there, we just made the decision to go through with it.”
Toward the end of 2023, social media users bombarded Halle and DDG with pregnancy accusations. Many pointed to the clothing that the Color Purple star was wearing at the time to public events, which seemingly covered her stomach. Without confirming or denying the fact that she was pregnant, Halle explained during her December 2023 Variety “Actors on Actors” interview that she has experienced the downside of fame ever since landing the role of Ariel in The Little Mermaid.
“That’s what people don’t realize — we’re granted amazing opportunities and able to be seen on massive screens, but there is a dissociation,” the Chloe x Halle singer explained. “People start taking you away from being a real human being that has feelings and reacts to things. That was definitely something that I had to navigate.”
One month later, the Grammy Award nominee confirmed in an Instagram post that she and DDG had welcomed their son. In her announcement, Halle included a photo of her baby boy’s small hand, wearing a bracelet that read, “Halo.”
Since then, Halle has addressed why she chose to keep her pregnancy away from the public eye.
“I just wanted to make sure I had a beautiful, private healthy time in my journey,” the “Angel” artist explained. “Honestly, I stayed off of all social media. I really tried to just to keep myself sane and OK.”
Back in the ‘90s, Taiwanese singer Stella Chang was one of the biggest stars in Mandopop.
Dubbed as one of the four divas alongside A-mei, Faye Wong and Sandy Lam, she faded out of showbiz in 2005 after she married banker Sung Hsueh-jen.
The couple, who have two sons Nathan, 18, and Nicholas, 16, eventually divorced in 2020.
Rumour has it that they split due to Hsueh-jen’s strict and controlling behaviour.
Recently, Stella, 57, was a guest on a recent episode of veteran Taiwanese producer Wang Wei Zhong's podcast Eh? Where Was I?, in which she opened up about her divorce.
Her sons, who were 14 and 13 then, were studying abroad.
While elder son Nathan was aware of the split, Nicholas was kept in the dark.
Stella said he was so furious when he found out about the divorce that he refused to speak to her for two years.
Over time, his icy treatment towards his mum thawed.
"When my younger son returned to my home and saw his grandma there, he realised that his mother's love for him will always be there, and we became close again,” shared Stella.
Through this experience, she also learned that it is not necessary to rush into revealing everything and that it is more important to let the children experience things themselves.
Last October, Stella returned to the stage at Taipei Arena in 2023 after an eight-year hiatus.
It also marked Nathan's first public performance.
She shared that the concert was a graduation gift to Nathan, who is currently studying in New York.
He has an interest in performing, so she specially arranged for him to sing ‘This World’ with her, as well as participate in backstage work.
She even took Nathan to the fifth floor so he could see the packed auditorium below.
“I want my child to know that mum is a superstar!” she said.
Ex-TVB Actor Oscar Leung Thought Of Killing Himself When He Was Cancelled In HK For Expressing His Love For China
Hong Kong actor Oscar Leung was a familiar face in TVB dramas.
Then in 2015, he made a mistake deemed unforgivable by pro-Hongkong independance supporters, and swiftly disappeared from TVB shows.
Recently, Oscar finally returned to TVB to shoot a variety show where he talked about what he went though.
At that time, Oscar, whose popularity skyrocketed after starring in hit 2014 TVB series Line Walker, shared on Weibo that he had attended a military event. He posted a picture of him giving a salute and wrote: "Long live the Motherland".
While his post got him on the good side of Chinese netizens, pro-Hongkong democracy supporters were livid about what they saw.
As a result, Oscar lost all his jobs in Hongkong overnight.
Looking back at the incident, he admitted feeling really lost at that time.
"I didn't shave or cut my hair. I stayed at home every day and didn't want to accept this reality. I didn't want to read any of those articles [about me]. There were really a few instances when I stood at the balcony and thought, since people don't like me so much, they won't have anything to say anymore if I jump down now," he said.
Oscar eventually got over the incident and is now able to face it with an open mind.
"I can't say I was put in "cold storage" [by TVB]. All I can say is the broadcaster is a commercial organisation, and when the media got involved, they blew everything up. At that time I also understood that there was no other way," he said.
The actor also said that it was "really scary" when he didn't get to star in any dramas for two years. All his endorsements were also rescinded.
He resorted to asking for jobs opportunities on Weibo just to make ends meet.
That was when netizens encouraged him to further his career in China, which he eventually did.
Oscar, who has two children — one seven and the other four — with wife Tina Lok, said that the work in China was what "helped to keep [his] entire family alive".
He now has a thriving luxury watch business and a shared car dealership with Raymond Lam’s wife Carina Zhang in Shenzhen. Looking back, he said he has no regrets about what he wrote.
"I think whenever someone does something, there will be people who agree and disagree. It so happened that at that time people chose me as a target to attack," he said.
Recently, American-Chinese martial arts actor Andy On, 46, was in Beijing to promote his new action film Hunt The Wicked with Chinese actor Mo Tse when he unexpectedly received a love confession from a fanboy during an event.
"I've liked you for a really long time. Let me give you a heart. Just now when you were standing, some words from the screen were projected on your body. There was the word 'gong', which suddenly made me want to shout 'lao gong' ['husband' in Mandarin] I love you!" gushed the fan.
His brave public display of affection got the whole theatre cheering, and even left Andy blushing.
Andy, who is married to American model Jessica Cambensy, didn't forget to reciprocate the love.
"So should I call you 'lao po' ['wife' in Mandarin]?," he quipped, before giving the fan an air hug from a distance.
Oh, you're such a tease Andy.